Did you think I abandoned my goals for the year? Quit? Gave up?
Nope! I stopped posting about them, but I kept working on them. Well, I sort of did. I have to admit that after I stopped posting monthly updates back in April? I stopped attacking my goals list with the same enthusiasm that I did at the beginning of the year, but that’s to be expected, right? There’s something about that accountability when I post regular updates that makes me expend just a little more effort so I have something to say each month.
I accomplished a little over half the items on my list this year and I’m pretty happy with that, but as I’ve reviewed the items on the list that weren’t completed, I find that I still want to do a lot of them. I’m still compiling my list for 2012, but I’m going to keep a bunch of the incomplete items on the list of things I want to do.
Here’s the final tally:
Finished — 26 items:
- Do 12 craft projects — I stopped counting on this one, but I’m sure I did at least 12 craft projects this year. The summer fun list alone was responsible for a lot of the crafts I did, and I did a lot of Christmas crafting with and without the boys in December too.
- Make a bobble scarf
- Have another go at a square foot garden — The garden was a great success in our new yard! One of our tomato plants was still producing at the beginning of December when I finally tore everything up. Crazy!
- Plan our veggie garden in advance
- Spend less time online when the kids are home/awake — This is sort of a hard one to nail down, but I feel like I’m doing a lot better with this one than I was at the beginning of last year. I still have a way to go, though.
- Take one or more of my children bowling — I took Wyatt this summer.
- Take Wyatt to San Francisco for a special day — While I didn’t specifically take Wyatt to San Francisco for a special day, we did have a couple days where the two of us ran around doing fun stuff together so I count this one as done.
- Clear out the basement storage room and Freecycle like crazy.
- Clear the clutter from my bedroom.
- Get rid of half the stuff in the office.
- Organize my crafting.
- Sort and purge my fabric stash
- Add at least four bento videos to Wendolonia — I put three videos up, so I’m happy.
- Add some bright colors to our living room
- Find the basement/mailbox keys!
- Frame family photos and hang them — I just did this one over Christmas break and I’m so happy with it! Two things made this happen: 1. I decided to stop over-thinking it and just wing it when it came to the placement of the frames. I started with the biggest frame and then put the others up around it trying to keep a pretty good balance. I think I need one more biggish frame up in the upper right corner of the display, but otherwise I think it looks OK. 2. Instead of fussing with nails and all the frustration they bring when trying to line different frames up, I used Command Photo Hanging Strips and — Oh. My. God. — they are so much easier.Â I am sold on this product (purchased with my own money, not sponsored, etc.) for the rest of my life. An extra bonus is that the frames don’t tilt when the kids run around.
- Get a J-O-B. — What I meant by this one was get a job where I go into an office and they give me a paycheck and health insurance and all that, but as the year went on, Zach and I talked about it and decided that my new job title is Freelance Writer, so technically I have a job now. Yay me! Let me know if you want to pay me to write something for you.
- Get a new couch.
- Go on more than one date with Zach.
- Hold another diaper drive for Help a Mother Out. — $500 raised thanks to the fantastic readers of this blog. That’s a lot of happy babies. Thanks!
- Launch Wendolonia Project Boticelli — This was the code name I assigned to the Bento Box Gallery when Zach and I were working on it. It’s up now so don’t forget to use it.
- Leave more comments on the blogs I enjoy — Another nebulous goal, but I’ve become much better at commenting this year so I think I’ve made it.
- More snail mail correspondence — I didn’t do as well with this one as I would have liked, but I mailed 2 letters to friends and technically that’s more than the zero letters I mailed last year, right?
- Pack emergency “go-bags” for each member of our family
- Pack up a bigger emergency kit for the basement
- Read 12 books — I knocked this one out of the park. According to my list on Good Reads I read 22 books last year.
Not finished — 17 items:
- Crochet a granny square afghan — I decided I didn’t want to make another one of these. No biggie.
- Draw more pictures — This is going on next year’s list.
- Finish 2009 Project 365 Album
- Finish 2010 Project 365 Album — I’m determined to wrap both of these albums up.
- Learn to make amigurumi — I changed my mind on this too.
- Make 40 scrapbook pages — I think I may have actually accomplished this one, but I’m too lazy to count how many pages I made last year.
- Bake bread
- Make a list of 20 dinners that we all like to help with menu planning
- Make pickles
- Do some activities from “The Daring Book for Girls” with Wyatt
- Enroll Augie in swimming lessons
- Set up a desk for Wyatt.
- Take Augie to story time at the library
- Take the kids swimming — I can’t believe we didn’t go swimming even once last year! We did have a cold summer though.
- Create an editorial schedule for my blog
- Go out to a grown up restaurant with another couple.
- Lose 10% of my body weight
How did you do on your goals last year?